A BOWEL cancer sufferer who thought he just had a dose of food poisoning is hoping to get ground-breaking treatment abroad.
Roger McAtee blamed a dodgy meal out when he was sick in October last year.
But two weeks later he needed emergency surgery when doctors spotted a life-threatening tumour in his gut.
After a year of NHS treatment for his stage four cancer, the 46-year-old is now raising £70,000 for experimental immunotherapy in Mexico with his brother Andy.
Their GoFundMe page has reached £17,500 and they hope to travel to the Hope4Cancer clinic in Tijuana.
Roger, a former lifeboat crew volunteer, told The Sun he thought he had food poisoning when he vomited after a meal.
Doctors then suspected he had a hernia but during surgery found tumours on his bowels. Medics say the cancer is incurable and has spread to his bladder, kidneys, stomach and lungs.
He is now at the family home in Co Down.
His brother, Andy, from East Lancs said: “The toll on our family has been devastating.”
/ 59 mins ago
WE’RE three days into December but there’s still time to pick up advent calendars...
/ 1 hour ago
AT least six children have died and others are fighting for their lives in...
/ 2 hours ago
I run one of the biggest bulk convenience stores in the UK… we have a strategy that supermarkets can’t compete with
A BULK buy superstore boss has revealed his strategy to offering cut-price deals that...