Connect with us


How to get your council tax reduced or even free – check if you’re eligible

HOUSEHOLDS could see their council tax bill soar this year – but you might be able to slash yours or pay nothing at all.

Local authorities were given the green light in last year’s Autumn Statement to raise the levy by as much as 5% from April.

Here’s how to avoid a big council tax bill this tear

Local authorities were previously only allowed to raise council tax by 2.99%.

It could mean that the average bill could hit over £2,000 a year next year – the biggest hike since 2018.

It would be a bitter blow for families already struggling to pay the bill – the latest figures show the total amount of council tax debt owed by households across the country stands at £4.9billion.

But missing your council tax bill could land you in trouble – it is considered a priority bill, as not paying it can result in bailiffs, court action or even imprisonment in the worst case.

You can beat the bill blow by applying for a discount – and it could mean you won’t pay a penny.

Here’s the support available – and how to check if you’re eligible.

Council tax discounts

There are a number of discounts you could get, depending on your circumstances.

Factors such as your household income, whether you have children, and if you receive any benefits, will influence what you get.

To apply for any of the below discounts, go through the government website.

You’ll need your national insurance number, bank statements, a recent payslip or letter from the Jobcentre, and a passport or driving licence when filling out the details.

If you are not sure which local authority you live in, you can check the government’s council locator to find out.

Single people

If you live on your own, you can get 25% off your council tax bill.

This also applies if there is one adult and one student living together in a property, or if there is one adult and one person classed as severely mentally impaired in the home.

If you live with someone who doesn’t have to pay council tax, such as a carer or someone who is severely mentally impaired, you could get a larger reduction too, of up to 50%.

And, if you live in an all-student household, you could get a 100% discount.

A full list of circumstances that exempt you from paying council tax can be found on Citizens Advice.


Pensioners may also find themselves eligible for a council tax reduction.

If you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, you could get a 100% discount.

If not, you could still get help if you have a low income and less than £16,000 in savings.

And a pensioner who lives alone will be entitled to a 25% discount too.

Low-income households

If you are on a low income or receiving benefits, you could eligible for a reduction on your council tax.

Whether you are eligible will vary depending on where you live.

You could also get a deferral if you’re struggling to pay your bill, or you can speak to your council about setting up a payment plan to manage the cost.

But one thing to remember is if you are struggling you should contact your council as early as you can.

Challenge your band

You might be able to reduce the amount of council tax you pay by challenging your band.

Properties across the UK are put into a band from A to H, and this informs how much council tax you pay.

The bands were created based on property values back in 1991, so many households may find that based on today’s prices, they should be in a different band.

It’s worth checking yours to see if you could get a discount.

First, you need to find out what band you are in.

You can find this out by checking with your local authority or on the postcode checker.

Use the council tax band checker tool to see which band properties along your street are in.

If they are in a lower band than you are, you could successfully make a challenge and get yours lowered.

How do I challenge it?

Contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) in England and Wales or the Scottish Assessors Association (SAA) in Scotland to do this.

Gather together evidence showing you’re paying more – this could be having addresses of similar properties to yours in a lower band, for example.

If the VOA agrees that your property is in the wrong band, it will contact you to let you know your band will be changed.

It can take up to two months for the VOA to review your case.

But be warned – challenging your band might not work.

While you could get moved to a lower band and pay less, there’s also the chance the VOA could find you’re not paying enough.

This could mean you’re moved to a higher band – and your neighbours’ too.

If you disagree with the VOA’s ruling, you can appeal your case – but only if you’ve been told that you can when you get the decision.

You must appeal within three months of your decision – to do this, get in touch with the Valuation Tribunal Service.

If the Valuation Tribunal agrees with you, it will get the VOA to change your band – and your bill will change.

What other council tax bill help can I get?

If you’re not eligible for a council tax discount – or you can’t move bands – there are other ways to get help.

Section 13A relief

You can make an application for what is called “discretionary relief” for your council tax bill by filling out a Section 13A application.

This means councils can reduce or completely wipe off a council tax debt you might have.

A Sun investigation last year found that councils have been wiping clean a record level of council tax debt in recent years over the Covid pandemic.

Nearly £2.7million worth of council tax debts was scrapped by local authorities over 2020/21.

Ask your council for the Section 13A form.

Once you’ve sent your Section 13A application over to your local authority, you should be told about a decision within 14 days.

Check if you’ve overpaid

Thousands of homeowners have moved house and are unaware they are still paying council tax bills.

A whopping £33.7million is sitting in closed or dormant council tax accounts, according to data analysed by The Sun.

The highest amount owed back was £27,150 to one household from St Alban’s Council.

Larger councils are likely to have a higher amount of unclaimed credit because of the higher number of people living in their catchment areas.

Contact your council if you think you’re owed.

Many authorities have different procedures when it comes to dishing out refunds.

While some give them out automatically usually, in some cases you have to apply for a refund.

In most cases, councils have online claim forms you can fill out if you think you are due a refund.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply


Must See


More in Money