Connect with us


Thousands of families can claim up to £250 free cash this Christmas – how to get the bill help

THOUSANDS of households can get £250 in free cash this winter to help with the cost of living.

The help comes via the Household Support Fund (HSF), which is worth £421 million.

Households in one part of the UK are in line for payments worth up to £250

The pot of money has been portioned out to councils across England who then decide how to allocate it.

That means what you’ll get depends on where you live.

The support might come in the shape of vouchers, or cash direct into your bank account.

Residents in North Northamptonshire can get a bank payment worth £250 to help them this winter.

But they have to meet certain eligibility criteria.

You can apply for the help if you’re in work but earning less than £300 a week after tax.

You can’t apply if you received the £650 cost of living payment.

Residents whose applications are successful will receive a £125 payment followed by another automatic £125 payment 60 days later direct into their bank accounts.

To apply you just have to head to the North Northamptonshire Council website and complete a form.

It should only take around 10 minutes to fill out.

But you should apply as soon as possible as once the council’s portion of the HSF has run out that’s it.

If applying, you should have two of your most recent monthly payslips or four of your most recent weekly wage slips to hand.

This obviously will depend on whether you are paid weekly or monthly.

Plus, you’ll need proof of ID, which can be a recent bank statement, driving licence or a recent utility bill.

A utility bill includes electricity, water and gas bills.

As part of the Household Support Fund, North Northamptonshire Council is also giving families on free school meals £15 supermarket vouchers over Christmas.

Those eligible will also get the vouchers in the Spring half term and Easter half term in 2023.

Can I get help if I don’t live in North Northamptonshire?

Yes you can. The Household Support Fund has been made available to councils across England.

But what you’ll get will depend on where you live as each local authority has been given different amounts of cash.

Thousands of households in Guildford are in line for £400 bank transfers this Christmas.

And thousands of families in Shropshire are in line for a £180 payment.

The money isn’t being allocated just as cash though. Some councils are offering eligible residents vouchers instead.

Who can get the help in each area will depend on what the council decides.

But generally it is given to low-income families or those on benefits such as Universal Credit.

Some help is being offered out automatically whereas in some areas residents have to apply.

If you think you might be entitled to support, you should get in touch with your local council on the phone or look on their website.

You can always type in the name of your council followed by “Household Support Fund” into Google as well.

Do you have a money problem that needs sorting? Get in touch by emailing [email protected]

In other news, we’ve revealed the full list of Wetherspoons closing for good.

Plus, how you can get free school meal vouchers over the festive period worth up to £300.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply


Must See


More in Money