Connect with us


Millions on disability benefits including PIP to get pay rise next year – how much will you get?

MILLIONS of people on disability payments, such as PIP, will get a pay rise in 2023

The government has promised to increase benefits with inflation, so incomes can keep up with rising prices.

Millions of disabled people on benefits will get a pay increase next year

Benefits usually rise in April each year, according to inflation in the previous September.

The rate of inflation for that month was 10.1%, Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed.

Those on a range of benefits will see their payments go up next year by this amount – including many supporting those with disabilities.

If you’re eligible for disability-related benefits, here’s what they are, how much they’re increasing and how to apply.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is for those aged 16 or over who have not reached state pension age.

You must have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two of the last three years, and be in one of these countries when you apply.

The process is different in Northern Ireland, and there are additional rules if you live abroad or if you’re not a British citizen.

PIP is one of the DWP benefits that will rise by 10.1% (with inflation) from April 2023.

This increased rate will apply next year – they will be:

  • If you’re on the lower weekly rate for the daily living living part of PIP, it’ll go up from £61.85 to £68.10 per week.
  • If you’re on the higher weekly rate for the daily living part, it’ll go up from £92.40 to £101.75 a week.
  • If you’re on the lower weekly rate mobility part of PIP, payments will rise from £24.45 to £26.90 a week.
  • If you’re on the higher weekly rate for the mobility part then you’ll get £71, up from £64.50.

You can make a new PIP claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222.

There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone. See for more information.

When you claim, you’ll need:

  • Your contact details
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Bank or building society account number and sort code
  • Your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
  • Dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call.

Disability living allowance

The DLA is made up of two parts, the care component and the mobility component, and it’s possible to claim for one or both of these depending on your circumstances.

You can now only apply for DLA if you’re under 16.

For the care component, it is rising:

  • From £89.60 to £92.40 for those on the highest level
  • From £60 to £6185 for the middle level.
  • From £23.70 to £24.45 for the lowest level.

For the mobility component, it is rising:

  • From £62.55 to £64.50 for the higher level.
  • From £23.70 to £24.45 for the lower level.

You can claim for DLA for a child aged under 16 by filling out the claim form, printing it, and sending it to the relevant office (the address is on the form).

For extra help, or for a printed form to be sent to you, you will need to call the Disability Living Allowance helpline on 0800 121 4600, Monday to Friday, between 8am and 7.30pm.

Attendance allowance

The attendance allowance is designed to help with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.

It’s paid at two different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability.

The higher rate will rise from £92.40 to £101.75, while the lower rate will also go up from £61.85 to £68.10.

There are 57 categories of medical conditions you can claim with, but the most commonly used ones are arthritis (30%) and dementia (8%).

But figures from earlier this year show some claimants could be missing out on cash they should be eligible for – so it’s important you check.

To get attendance allowance you need to be:

You cannot get Attendance Allowance if you already get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

To qualify for the lower amount, you need to require frequent help or constant supervision during the day, or supervision at night.

You get the higher amount if you need help or supervision throughout both day and night, or if you’re terminally ill.

Usually, you need to have needed help with your condition for more than six months to get the benefit, but this is waived if you’re terminally ill.

You don’t need to have a carer in order to claim, but if you do, they could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.

You can’t get Attendance Allowance if you live in a care home and your care is paid for by your local authority.

However, you can still claim if you pay for all your care home costs yourself.

To qualify, you also need to be in Great Britain when you claim, unless you’re in the armed forces.

You need to have been in Great Britain for at least two of the last three years and be habitually resident in the UK.

However, you might still be able to get Attendance Allowance if you’re a UK national and you live in or move to the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

You can find a full list of medical categories that are eligible here.

Signing up for attendance allowance may also boost any other benefits you get.

For instance, you could get extra Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or a council tax reduction.

The money is paid into your bank, building society or credit union account.

You also won’t be affected by the Benefit Cap if you or your partner get Attendance Allowance.

The benefit cap limits what households can claim per year.

If you want to know whether your specific benefits will be affected by receiving Attendance Allowance, you should contact the office dealing with that benefit.

They will then assess you to see what other help you might be entitled to.

One thing to note is that you might need to send them a copy of your Attendance Allowance decision letter.

Industrial injuries benefit

This benefit is for those who became ill or disabled at work or on an employment training scheme or course.

The level of your disability will affect the amount of benefit you may get.

This will be assessed by a ‘medical advisor’ on a scale of 1 to 100%.

But make sure you check as some of these payments are actually decreasing.

From next year, this will rise:

  • From £182.90 to £188.60 for those given a 1% standard rate.
  • From £164.61 to £169.74 for those given a 0.90% standard rate.
  • From £146.32 to £150.88 for those given a 0.80% standard rate.
  • From £128.03 to £132.02 for those given a 0.70% standard rate.
  • From £109.74 to £113.13 for those given a 0.60% standard rate.
  • From £91.45 to £94.30 for those given a 0.50% standard rate.
  • From £73.16 to £75.44 for those given a 0.40% standard rate.
  • From £54.87 to £56.56 for those given a 0.30% standard rate.
  • From £36.58 to £37.72 for those given a 0.20% standard rate.

Carer’s allowance

Carer’s allowance is for anyone who has caring responsibilities for at least 35 hours a week, regardless of age.

It’s worth up to £67.60 a week and that will increase to £69.70 a week.

As the carer, you don’t have to be related to or live with the person you care for but they will need to get certain benefits, such as the daily living component of personal independent payment or disability living allowance.

And your income must also be under £128 a week (£6,656 a year) after tax and national insurance.

It’s worth noting that carer’s allowance can affect the other benefits that you get and you have to pay tax on it if your income is over the Personal Allowance.

The easiest way to claim is online via the government website.

You can find out more about carer’s allowance and how to claim in our guide.

Employment and Support Allowance

If you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you earn, or whether you can earn at all, you could be eligible for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

Here are the main rates for ESA and how much more you’ll get from April:

  • Under 25-year-old, from £59.20 to £61.05
  • Age 25 and older, from £74.70 £77.00
  • Lone parent under 18, from £59.20 to £61.05
  • Lone parent 18 or over, from £74.70 £77.00

There are also further rates for couples, those with disabilities or caring responsibilities, and how much that is depends on your circumstances.

To be eligible you need to have worked either as an employee or been self-employed in the past, and have paid enough National Insurance over the past two to three years.

It is also possible to claim Universal Credit alongside ESA, but you can’t receive Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) at the same time.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply


Must See


More in Money