Connect with us


Are PIP benefit rates going up in 2023 and how much can I get?

PERSONAL Independence Payment (PIP) is designed to help those struggling with a health condition or disability.

But you can receive the help regardless of whether you’re in or out of work.

This is how much PIP is going up by next April

It can boost your income by thousands of pounds a year if you’re eligible too.

Benefit rates are rising next year to help households keep up with the cost of living, including PIP.

In November, Chancellor Jeremy Hunt announced a number of benefits will rise from next April in line with inflation in September this year – 10.1%.

That means you can expect more in your benefit payments from then.

Here’s how much more you’ll get from PIP though.

How much are PIP payments rising in 2022?

Rates for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) will rise from April next year.

PIP helps with the extra cost of living for those with illnesses or disabilities.

There are two elements to PIP: a daily living part if you need help with everyday tasks, and a mobility part if you need help with getting around.

There are two rates for each part – standard or enhanced – depending on the level of your needs.

Here are the current weekly rates:

  • Standard daily living component: £61.85
  • Enhanced daily living component: £92.40
  • Standard mobility component: £24.45
  • Enhanced mobility component: £64.50

These are the new rates for PIP coming in from April:

  • Standard daily living component: £68.09
  • Enhanced daily living component: £101.73
  • Standard mobility component: £71.01
  • Enhanced mobility component: £26.91

When claiming PIP you’re assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get.

Your rate should be regularly reviewed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

You don’t have to do anything to get the extra cash, your payments will go up automatically from April onwards.

The first payment where you’ll see the new, higher, amount will depend on your normal PIP payment date.

Payments are usually made every four weeks directly into your bank account, and they’re tax free.

As well as your Personal Independence Payment, you should get access to extra help and benefits on top too, like a reduction on your council tax.

Who can get PIP and how do I apply?

PIP is for those aged 16 or over who have not reached state pension age.

You must have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two of the last three years, and be in one of these countries when you apply.

The process is different in Northern Ireland, and there are additional rules if you live abroad or if you’re not a British citizen.

Crucially, you must also have a health condition or disability where you either have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for three months, and you expect these difficulties to continue for at least nine months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than six months to live).

Difficulties with daily living can include the following:

  • preparing or eating food
  • washing
  • bathing and using the toilet
  • dressing and undressing
  • reading and communicating
  • managing your medicines or treatments
  • making decisions about money
  • engaging with other people

Also, be aware that you cannot get PIP and armed forces independence payment at the same time.

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222.

There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone. See for more information.

When you claim, you’ll need the following information:

  • your contact details
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • bank or building society account number and sort code
  • your doctor or health worker’s name
  • address and telephone number,
  • dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call.

You’ll then be sent a form to fill in, after which you’ll be invited for an assessment or your health or social care worker will be asked for information.

After this you’ll be sent a letter telling you if your claim has been successful.

Citizen’s Advice’s website has useful pointers on how to prepare for an assessment.

Do you have a money problem that needs sorting? Get in touch by emailing [email protected]

If you apply for PIP and are unsuccessful you can appeal a decision.

Here’s the full list of benefits rising this year – and how much more you’ll get.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply


Must See


More in Money