Connect with us


Hundreds of thousands of water customers could be missing out on discounts of up to 90% – how to apply

HUNDREDS of thousands of water customers could get up to 90% off their water bll by doing one simple thing. 

Energy bills are continuing to rise as the cost of living grows

Struggling households could get more support towards their water bills

While the government has announced financial support for some struggling households, many will still struggling to make ends meet.

Some water companies are offering further to particular households, and some can get nearly 90% off their bills if they qualify. 

All you need to do is switch social tariff.

The amount varies depending on the water provider and then your own financial situation.

Here’s what each water company is offering. 

Anglian Water

Anglian Water customers could get up to 50% off their water bills, depending on their situation, via the LITE and Extra LITE social tariffs.

You’ll need to answer a few questions, to explain your situation, and depending on the answers you’ll be able to switch.

To get the process started, phone 0800 232 1963.

You’ll only be able to switch if you have a water meter at home and you’re paying measured charges.

If you don’t have a meter, Anglian Water will fit one for free.

Bear in mind that once you’ve switched, you’ll need to keep on top of your payments.

If you miss payments, you’ll move back onto its standard tariff and you’ll be unable to reapply for the social tariff for 12 months.

Affinity Water

Customers earning below £16,480 a year, or who are claiming certain benefits, are eligible for Affinity’s LIFT social tariff.

If you are eligible, you’ll receive a fixed-price bill each year for your clean water.

In 2022/23 your clean water bill will be fixed at £107.20.

If you help keep your payments simple and affordable, you can also make smaller, monthly payments throughout the year.

If you claim these benefits, and proof of these benefits, you’ll be able to apply:

Income related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Job Seeker’s Allowance, Housing Benefit, Universal Credit, Pension Credit. 

You can apply via the Affinity Water website.

Bristol Water

This company offers several social tariffs for households that are struggling.

The amount of support you could get depends on your situation and which one you apply for.

For example, low-income pensioners can get 20% off their bills.

While those on certain benefits, such as Universal Credit and Income Support, could qualify for the WaterSure Plus tariff.

You can apply via the Bristol Water website.

Bournemouth Water

Bournemouth Water’s WaterCare social tariff is available to those on Housing benefit, Income support, Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance, Income based Employment and Support Allowance. Pension Credit and Universal Credit. 

In addition to the above benefit payments, your equivalised weekly income, after housing costs, must be less than £295.

There are five bands within the tariff, ranging from a 15% to 85% reduction.

Which band you’ll be placed on depends on your household’s circumstances.

You can apply online via the Bournemouth Water website.

Cambridge Water

The Assure Tariff is for those struggling and low-income households.

You’ll need to have an income no higher than £19,050 a year.

Successful applicants will get 60% off their bill in the first year and 40% in the second.

You could also qualify if you receive the guarantee element of pension credit.

If you have a dependent child too, then you could get an extra £1,500 per child.

You can apply via the Cambridge Water website.

Dŵr Cymru

The HelpU tariff offers low-income households a cap on their energy bills.

Those who meet the criteria could get their bill capped at £266.47 a year.

To qualify, at least one person in your house will need to receive at least one means-test benefit.

Depending on the size of your household, you’ll also need to earn below a certain amount.

For example, someone who lives alone can earn no more than £9,700 while a households of two people can must earn no more than £14,600.

Essex and Suffolk Water

If your total household income is less than £17,005, or £20,111 if you live in a London Borough, and your annual water bill is more than 3% of your net household income (after housing costs, rent or mortgage payments), then you’ll be eligible to apply.

You can also qualify if a member of your household receives Pension Credit, and your annual water bill is 3% or more of your net household income.

To apply, email [email protected].

Hafren Dyfrdwy

Eligible customers could get up to 90% off their bills, depending on their circumstances.

The Here2Help social tariff is available to any customer with a household income below £18,278.

You don’t need to be behind on your bills or on benefits to apply.

The scheme runs for 12 months at a time and as you come to the end of your term you’ll need to reapply.

Hartlepool Water

This falls under Anglian Water supply.

Households can get up to 50% off their water bills if they qualify.

You’ll need to be on a water meter, or paying measured charges.

To apply, phone 0800 232 1963 or apply via the Anglian Water website.

Northumbrian Water

The SupportPlus scheme is for those on low-income or receive pension credit.

You could get up to 50% off your bill.

You’ll need to earn less than £17,005 a year or prove that your water bill is more than 3% of your net households income.

You can apply by emailing [email protected].

Portsmouth Water

Helping Hand is Portsmouth Water’s social tariff.

To qualify for the Social Tariff you must have a household income of less than the Government’s low income threshold, excluding the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Mortgage Interest Relief
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Housing / Council Tax Benefit
  • Disability Living Allowance

You’ll need to apply via an application form online.

SES Water

Struggling households could get up to 50% off their water bills.

ou could be eligible for this scheme if your yearly gross household income is:

  • Less than £16,480 before any deductions, if you do not live in a London borough; or
  • Less than £20,111 before any deductions, if you do live in a London borough

This excludes disability benefits.

You can apply online.

Severn Trent Water

Severn Trent’s Big Difference scheme is available to those on a household income no more than £18,278.

You could get up to 90% off your energy bill, depending on your circumstances.

Successful applicants will get a new payment plan, which last for 12 months.

You’ll have to reapply after it runs out.

If you have a dependent child then you could qualify for extra support.

You can apply online via the Severn Trent Water website.

You’ll need payslips from the last three months and proof of any benefits you receive.

South East Water

If your household income is less than £16,480 (excluding disability benefits) or you have three or more children under 19 at home then you qualify for the social tariff.

You may also qualify for other circumstances.

There are several social tariffs offered and South East Water will evaluate your situation before offering you one.

You can apply by phoning 0800 952 4000 or by messaging South Easter Water on Facebook.

South Staffs Water

Households could get up to 60% off their bills in the first year and then 40% in the second year.

You qualify if you receive the guarantee element of pension credit or have a maximum income of £19,050.

You don’t qualify if you receive:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • The disabled child or severely disabled child element of Child Tax Credit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Housing Benefit or Housing Element of Universal Credit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Homes for Ukraine scheme

You can apply via the application form online.

South West Water

The WaterCare social tariff has five bands and households could get between 15% and 85% off their bill.

The band you’ll be put on depends on your circumstances.

You must have a water meter and you or one person you live with must be claiming one of the following:

  • Housing benefit
  • Income based employment and support allowance
  • Income based job seeker’s allowance
  • Income support
  • Pension Credit (guaranteed element)
  • Universal Credit 

To apple, download the application form or phone 0344 346 1010.

Southern Water

If you’re eligible for Southern Water’s social tariff then you could get at least 45% off your water bills.

You’re eligible for a discount if any of the following circumstances applies to you:

  • Your household income is low
  • Someone in your home gets a means-tested benefit
  • You’ve got three or more children under 19 living at home
  • Someone living with you needs more water because of a medical condition
  • You haven’t made a payment for a while

To apply, fill in the application form online, email [email protected] or call 0800 027 0363.

Thames Water

The Thames Water social tariff, Watersure Plus, offers people a bill cap £423.

To qualify for the scheme, someone in your household:

  • Must receive a means-tested benefit, AND
  • Must have a medical condition that requires extra water, OR
  • Three or more children under the age of 19 living at the property making you eligible for child benefits

You need to fill out and then post the application form online.

If you can’t post it then you can take a photo and email it to [email protected].

United Utilities

There are several options available for households struggling to pay their water bills.

The Back on Track tariff provides customers with the option of six bands – which band you’ll be put on depends on your situation.

For more information and to apply, fill in the online form or call 0800 072 6765.

Wessex Water

Wessex Water offers several tariff for those struggling.

For example, for those receiving certain social benefits or tax credits, a WaterSure bill cap tariff is available.

You must receive a means tested benefit or tax credit as well as either: 

  • child benefit for three or more children living at home under the age of 19; or
  • have higher than average water usage in your household due to a medical condition.  

You’ll need to reapply after one year.

To apply, or find out what you could be switched to, call 0345 600 3 600 or contact them online.

Yorskhire Water

Eligible households could get support if their bill is more than £50 a year.

You should also be a low-income household.

You can apply online and you’ll need to provide proof of any benefits/additional payments you receive.

You can also call 01274 250542.

For more ways to cut your water bill, see here for this one simple trick that could save you £100s.

Or if you’re low-income and think you might qualify for more support payments, here’s a list of schemes that could help.



  1. Pingback: I’m a housing expert – how to get free cash worth £100s if you’re struggling with rent

  2. Pingback: Hard-up water bill payers are only just realising they could get up to 90% off

Leave a Reply


Must See


More in Money